Sunday, October 23, 2011

The Eternal Law

Be it known unto you that henceforward I obey no law less than the eternal law. I will have no covenants but proximities. I shall endeavor to nourish my parents, to support my family, — but these relations I must fill after a new and unprecedented way. I appeal from your customs. I must be myself. I cannot break myself any longer for you or you. If you can love me for what I am, we shall be happier. If you cannot, I will still seek to deserve that you should. I will not hide my tastes or aversions. I will so trust that what is deep is holy, that I will do strongly before the sun and moon whatever inly rejoices me, and the heart appoints.

If you are noble, I will love you; if you are not, I will not hurt you and myself by hypocritical attentions. If you are true, but not in the same truth with me, cleave to your companions; I will seek my own. I do this not selfishly, but humbly and truly. It is alike your interest and mine, and all men’s, however long we dwell in lies, to live in truth.


Ralph Waldo Emerson wrote those thoughts in his 1841 essay, Self-Reliance. We have a tendency to forget that humanity deals with several predominant themes at various points in linear time. The nature of politics, religion, the family,our personality, and the arts are interwoven into these themes so human consciousness has been experimenting with an arbitrary division between the subject self and the perceiver. As a species we consider ourselves separated from the rest of consciousness that exists within this reality. We encouraged male-ego characteristics thanks to the Western world’s Greek and Roman heritage. God is masculine and competitive so we are living a Greek tragedy of sorts, and our family, political, and religious beliefs mirror that tragedy.

Nature represents our feminine aspects. Our unique kind of consciousness wanted to release itself from that image. We had to pretend to dislike and disown elements of our source in the same way that a adolescent wants independence from the family. That break occurred as the Greeks and the Romans developed gods and goddesses. Animal gods began to disappear and as a species we divorced ourselves from nature. Our myths changed and we altered our reality to reflect them.

As a result we only see in nature what we want to see, and we develop a model of nature that conforms to our beliefs. Love and devotion are seen as female characteristics and organizations like the state and church are seen as male. We believe each has a place; the male is the ego and the psyche is female.

Now is the time to expand those beliefs, by closing the division between science and religion. Religions have an intuitive base, but science considers intuitiveness illogical, because it stems from what is considered the female psyche. When we begin to unify, expand, and create a new sense of what our sexuality represents in terms of the psyche we move into another aspect of our expansion process. Einstein used his emotions, intuition, and intellect and tapped into his male and female self and world beliefs changed, even though a large portion of his work was used for manipulation and control purposes.

The eternal law leads us to the exploration of the self where our conventional beliefs are changed. We discover our psychic and psychological identity that is both male and female. In that framework the seeming opposites are transcended and we find peace in the psyche, but that peace my not be released in normal life unless we discover that truth is not an element of separation—it is the foundation for our subjective eternal law.

No comments: